Sunday, March 9, 2008

What am I forgetting?

So inevitably I always forget something. It doesn't matter where I'm going or how long I'm going to be there, I will always absentmindedly leave something behind. That's why I have an obsession with checklists because that way maybe I won't forget something or as much, but definitely not the case.

We were driving to the airport and I didn't have the feeling that I forgot something, which was extremely strange, since that never happens. Mom starts running down the list of things: passport-yes this time I had it, in hand, won't ever lose that again (ok so I'll try not to at least). Money and cards- check, in my wallet, in my suitcase, and unfortunately in the stupid, extremely uncomfortable, money belt under my shirt. Contact numbers and whatnot for when I reached Ireland, which were folded up with my passport. Medicine- yes the various over the counter tylenol, ibuprofen, lysine, you name it I had it. Computer stuff- a definite check, I love my macbook, especially when flying so as not to get as bored as quick.

But as I'm rummaging around in my carry on and the folders within it, I suddenly realize the most important thing after my passport.

My acceptance letter. That's what I didn't have. We were in Wilder right before 275, and in my head, I knew that mom would turn around. We still had enough time, I was pretty sure that I knew where it was, but she just kept going. I was so mad. I needed that letter for the passport check. That letter enabled me to actually leave the airport. Mom didn't seem bothered that I didn't have it. I did have another important document proving that I was going to be studying, that should be enough. "Besides," she says "if need be I can scan it and then email it to you. If it's such a big deal you can pull up your email and show it to them." Only my mom would suggest this.

So obviously we just kept going to the airport and I just tried to push it out of my mind, which I did all until I was standing in line at the passport check and all the other students had their acceptance letters and I didn't. Inside, I was freaking out. I step up to the desk and I hand him my passport and then he asks if I'm studying which I say yes. Then there it was, he asked for my acceptance letter. Crap. My heart starts racing as I tell him how I forgot it; yes I knew that I needed it to register with the garda (police), and that my mom was sending it to me via email; and that all I had was a letter from my university at home saying that I was financially stable to be in Ireland for the semester. He wasn't mean, but he wasn't sympathetic either, just kind of annoyed that here was yet another stupid American that would be in Ireland for the next five months. He did make sure to let me know that I messed up big time by not having that acceptance letter but he stamped my passport and said I had one month to get my letter and register.

All in all, it wasn't the end of the world, just close to it. Maybe someday I can have a travel experience where I don't forget anything.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

No comments: