Friday, March 14, 2008

A parent's worries

I had this paper to write for my Families, Children and Welfare class that I chose to write about my aunt and her role as a parent of a special needs child. I had her answers from my interview with her, then I just had to write the paper. For the introduction I decided to form the link between all parents based on their worries/concerns for their children. I give my mom a call expecting serious concerns like food, shelter, clothes, that sort of thing instead here's how the conversation went...

Me: Mom, what were you and dad worried about as parents when we were growing up?

Mom: I am worried that you're too spend too much time on the internet instead of experiencing the real life outside. I'm worried that you're too dependent on me to help with homework.

Me: When we were little, and I'm not a parent so I can't answer!

Mom: Ok, I was worried that Liz didn't know how to button a button; you know she was three years old before she could do it. I had no idea because I was always doing her buttons for her in the mornings before day care because we were running late!

Me: That's not what I mean, like serious stuff. Like think back to when Liz was just born, you weren't even 27, what were you and dad worried about for her?

Mom: Well we were worried about bills and money.

Me: Yes I'm sure you were, but about Liz. Fine, go forward seven years, I'm one and Liz is seven, now what are you worried about?

Mom: I'm worried that you guys won't stop fighting.

Me: I was only one! What fighting could we be doing? Whatever, this isn't working.

Mom: You're just going to make stuff up anyway, so why were you asking me.

People think I make conversations go in circles, obviously, I get it from my mom. All I wanted was basically what I thought to begin with, but voiced by mom. Good thing this was just for the introduction because I did go ahead and ad lib anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say as a newer mom and having a 1 year old - you do worry about the small stuff like currently I worry about him learning how to use a spoon. Good luck on your paper and have fun over there!

-Rachel